Yesterday a terrible thing happened. Basically the spontaneous digital combustion of my entire online journal.

The mySQL database that it’s based on up and disappeared, so when going to this page it’d display an error. I spent a few hours trying to figure out what happened and ended up eventually e-mailing technical support for my host and requesting that they provide some backups. The good part is that they run daily and weekly backups, the bad news is that yesterday they did both the daily and weekly backup, so their entire backup catalog goes back 24 hours. This is pretty pathetic for a professional hosting company.

Long story short: my old blog is fucked. But it’s back now, and I’ve learned to back it up myself. And now I’ll write with renewed vigor, hopefully.