"It's not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen."Scott Belsky
Last week I found a shop nearby that specializes in Japanese Gundam-style toys that you assemble yourself. They range from incredibly difficult meter-tall ornate robots to… to this crab, which took me a few minutes to assemble. You gotta start somewhere.
I wiped the dust (literally) of my Tokina 12-24mm wide angle lens and used some new lightboxes which I got a several days ago to take this photo. I’m clearing out the spare bedroom in my apartment and making it into a makeshift photo studio.
I’m not even totally sure what I’ll photograph yet – ideally portraits, I’m thinking – but I’ve decided that I’m going to start using my photo equipment again. I don’t know how, but the Tokina wide angle lens that was not working for over a year is suddenly working again! That helps. It was, and is now again, my favorite lens.
I was recently turned on to Jon Hopkins by a fellow Boards of Canada fan. Although Hopkins’ music is more ambient than Boards, you can definitely hear a parallel between the two when the drums are introduced a minute into the song.
"Conventional people are roused to fury by departure from convention, largely because they regard such departure as a criticism of themselves."Bertrand Russell
- Moved to an unfamiliar place that was alien to me and made a home of it
- Learned to speak Chinese fluently
- Never funded my lifestyle with money I didn’t earn. Never borrowed money from parents
- Established a career without spending four years and tens of thousands of dollars in college. Achieved results unconventionally
- Had fulfilling and meaningful relationships with girlfriends who didn’t speak any English
- Gained 40lbs in four months after being 175lbs for 10 years. Currently 6’4″ 215lbs
- Made my parents proud
- Learned to play guitar without formal lessons
- Survived an 8.0 magnitude earthquake, 40km from the epicenter, while on a Daoist mountain (2008 Sichuan earthquake)
- With the exception 18 months after buying a new car, never went into debt
Writing these down brings me satisfaction. Like the countless days that have flown by continue to mean something. It reminds me to continue to strive to accomplish more and take things one step at a time while keeping the big picture in mind.
What are you proud of?