I started writing “just charlie” on mixtapes in 2001 and the name stuck.
If you didn’t know
I’m an American designer and DJ who’s been living in China for ten years.
I’m the creator and editor of Chengdu Living, a blog about life in capital of Sichuan Province. We tell the story of the city through the eyes of foreign residents who live in this far-flung place.
In 2010, I formed a musical group and event called Disco Death which has hosted dozens of China’s best DJs. A few years later I helped start and run Dojo, a series of underground music events that take place in a rural house on the outskirts of the city.
In my day job I’m a designer and director at a Chengdu-based mobile game developer. We make competitive online multi-player games that connect players from around the world.
Stuff I do
About this website
justcharlie.com was (for 10+ years) a website solely dedicated to my DJ career. I registered the domain name after only a few years of DJ’ing and for its duration it has hosted a DJ biography, more than 12 DJ mixes and compilations, and songs which I’ve produced on my own and in collaboration with other artists.
Since my life is much more than DJ’ing now, I have repurposed this domain and made it the hub for my blog, which for 6+ years was called The 19th Step (named after one of my favorite locations in Chongqing, one of the world’s most populated cities). So you can follow what I’m up to and still download my songs and mixes from the navigation at the top of the site. I think this is the best way to combine the sites and services that are important to me while preventing different projects from being scattered and fragmented.
Recently I have added some new pages on this site, including an index of Recommendations for games, books and apps.
A few services which you can find me on:
- @justcharlie on Twitter: you know what Twitter is
- justcharlie on WeChat: China’s email, Facebook, and Skype
- justcharlie on Trakt.tv: tracks all the shows and movies that I’m watching
- sensualettuce on Steam: hub for all-things gaming
- justcharlie on Strava: bicycle and fitness activity
- justcharlie on Gyroscope: comprehensive fitness tracking
- c. moseley on Amazon: books, wishlist and reviews
- Blinkist: find me through my email, justcharlie at gmail